Monday, March 10, 2014

Challenge & Privilege

by Nora Ortiz Fredrick

There has been much criticism of SNAP challenges and participants around the country. Each person that participates in some sort of poverty-type experience has their own motivations and intent. A common complaint is the effort to replicate “the hunger experience” is unrealistic and never representative of the true depth of hunger and lack of hope.

I am well aware of my own privilege. I am a nonprofit professional, self-employed Latina living in my own home. I over-eat, have a gym membership, am an outdoor recreation enthusiast, have health insurance, a car and travel frequently (by air) for work and pleasure. Both my parents are (retired) college-educated professionals. I have no personal experience of poverty, homelessness or food insecurity. I am a seminary-educated layperson, deeply entrenched in the church and see how we struggle to be a meaningful presence at the margins of our society. At least on Sundays.

Privilege is a reality. I have no illusion that I can duplicate the true experience of either hunger or homelessness. I don’t seek to glamorize or romanticize poverty, nor investigate the overblown claims of vast entitlements that are available to people living in poverty.

I hope to glimpse into the challenges and possibilities of what happens when people must rely on government assistance for food while struggling with homelessness. I hope to listen enough to hear about need and opportunity where I can use my privilege to advocate for change, and my influence to rally the communities where I am involved to consider ways to make a meaningful different in the lives of all God’s people.


Most of all, I hope this experience will shape my faith and compassion as I glimpse into the challenge that many of God’s people face each and every day. I hope to see, listen, reflect, pray, plan and act.

No comments:

Post a Comment