Wednesday, March 12, 2014

You're Not Welcome

One characteristic of this Homeless SNAP Challenge is finding a place to eat. With a commitment not to cook, refrigerate or eat at home, having a place to sit down and have a meal has created serious challenges and problems.

I work out of my home, meaning that I don’t have another place of business or an office. But I’m very unproductive if I stay home. Like many consultants and contractors, I grab a latte and a snack and settle down to work in a coffee shop. During this challenge, I can’t do that. Sure, I know that the manager and baristas of Kaladi Brothers Coffee would appreciate what I’m doing and welcome me even without a purchase. After all, I’m a regular customer. They start my soy latte with a half-shot of vanilla syrup when they see my car roll up. But how long would they tolerate a customer that doesn’t regularly spend $6 - $10 each time they walk in the door?

It’s winter in Alaska. Sometimes it’s tolerable to sit in a park to eat. Sometimes not. I’m working now in the public library, but they discourage food – and I am a rule follower. Most of the times, I find a place to park and eat in my car. After all, that’s where the food is stored. Even that is a constructed practice that a homeless person might not get to do. Gas is expensive and I burn more gas in a day than the SNAP allowance.


I’ll look into the places where anyone might be welcomed to get out of the cold and have a meal. Right now, it’s indeed a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment