Friday, March 7, 2014

Taking the Homeless SNAP Challenge

By Nora Ortiz Fredrick

I’m taking the Homeless SNAP Challenge. During Lent, the 40 days leading up to Easter, I’ve committed to spend as many days as possible living on the Alaska allowance for a single person receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits – about $5.75 per day.

Why?

Roman Krznaric, in his groundbreaking work on building empathic cultures, reminds us that some form of experience of the people who are less fortunate helps you place yourself in their lives – even if only for a glimpse.  Christians for Equality, a group that I serve in a leadership position, is looking at the many complex issues around homelessness in Alaska. By participating in the Homeless SNAP Challenge during Lent, I seek a better understanding of the challenges facing homeless persons to eat healthily and adequately.

Here’s the way I’m participating:
  • $5.75/day under the SNAP guidelines: fruit, veggies, grains, cereals, dairy, meat.
  • With no cooking or food storage facilities, I’ll keep a bin in my car to store the food I purchase. No food consumed from the pantry at home. Freezing temps will play into my storage capabilities.
  • I’ll not eat in my house. All my food will be consumed somewhere else. I work out of my home, in client offices or in local coffee shops, so this will be a challenge. Yes, and it’s winter in Alaska. Homelessness has no seasonal boundaries.
  • I have work travel scheduled during this time, so will have to take days off. I’ll honor SNAP days and follow the rules, trying to maximize consecutive days.
  • My complicated eating habits will play into this. I have a primary plant-based diet. I’m a pesce vegetarian, dairy and egg-free.
  •  I’m committed to writing about this experience.

While this is a personal Lenten journey, I hope my experience helps others consider the many challenges facing our brothers and sisters, young and old, who struggle with homelessness and food insecurity. I invite you to join me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment